These gems, a marvel of modern science, are rapidly becoming the preferred choice for those who seek not just beauty and brilliance, but also value sustainability and ethical sourcing.
We’ve covered in several other articles more about lab grown diamonds, and also saw & reviewed best places to buy them, this guide is designed to go over the process of buying a lab-grown diamond, ensuring that you make an informed and confident choice.
Whether you’re looking for that perfect engagement ring, a special gift, or a personal treasure, understanding the nuances of lab-grown diamonds will enhance your buying experience.
Let’s embark on this sparkling adventure together, where we’ll explore everything from the benefits of lab-grown diamonds to tips on caring for your precious stone.
Why Lab-Grown Diamonds Are a Good Choice
Lab-grown diamonds offer a lot of benefits – environmental responsibility, ethical sourcing, and affordability – making them an increasingly popular choice.
Environmentally, they require significantly less excavation than mined diamonds, reducing landscape disruption and saving precious natural resources.
Ethically, lab-grown diamonds eliminate the concerns associated with conflict diamonds, ensuring a guilt-free purchase.
From a cost perspective, these diamonds are generally more affordable than their mined counterparts, providing consumers with access to luxury and quality at a reduced price.
This combination of factors puts lab-grown diamonds as a responsible and smart choice for the discerning consumer, and they are becoming more popular especially among the younger generation.
How to Ensure That Your Lab Grown Diamond is Genuine
To ensure the authenticity of a lab-grown diamond, it’s crucial to distinguish it from simulants like moissanite.
While both are visually similar, they differ in composition and properties. One key way to verify a lab-grown diamond’s authenticity is through certifications from reputable gemological institutes like GIA or IGI which is dominating the world of lab-grown diamonds certification.
These certifications provide a detailed analysis of the diamond’s characteristics and confirm its lab-grown origin.
Additionally, seeking professional appraisals from certified gemologists can offer an extra layer of assurance. They use specialized equipment to analyze the diamond’s properties, further confirming its authenticity.
Selecting the 4Cs: Clarity, Color, Cut, and Carat For Lab Created Diamonds
The 4Cs—Color, Clarity, Cut, and Carat—are the globally accepted standards used to assess the quality of a diamond. Each ‘C’ represents a different aspect of the diamond’s characteristics.
We covered in different guides everything you need to know about these 4Cs, and what grade you have to look for in pursuing your diamond, and in a nutshell:
- Color: Ranging from colorless to light yellow or brown, the less color a diamond has, the higher its grade, when you pick a G color grade, which represents a near-colorless diamond, you can guarantee a grade that offers a good balance between colorlessness and value.
- Clarity: This measures the amount and visibility of internal ‘inclusions’ and external ‘blemishes.’ SI1 grade and its adjacent VS2 clarity diamonds have minor inclusions that are nearly impossible to see with the naked eye, offering a good balance between purity and value.
- Cut: The cut determines how well the diamond interacts with light, influencing its sparkle and brilliance. An ‘Excellent’ cut ensures the diamond reflects light efficiently, maximizing its sparkle.
- Carat: This is the weight of the diamond. Larger diamonds are rarer and thus more valuable, but the best choice also depends on personal preference and budget, balanced with the other 4Cs.
Understanding these four aspects helps in making an informed decision, ensuring you choose a diamond that meets your specific needs and preferences.
Essential Care for Lab-Grown Diamonds
Caring for your lab-grown diamond is similar to maintaining a mined diamond, as they both share the same chemical and physical properties
One was “grown” in 2 weeks in a lab, while the other took billions of years to be formed.
Regular cleaning, safe storage, and avoiding harsh activities are key to preserving the sparkle and beauty of your lab-grown diamond.
- Regular Cleaning: Use a solution of mild dish soap and warm water to gently clean your diamond. Use a soft brush to remove any buildup, and then rinse and dry it with a soft, lint-free cloth.
- Professional Check-ups: Regular check-ups by a professional jeweler can help ensure the setting remains secure and the diamond is in good condition.
- Safe Storage: Store your diamond jewelry separately to avoid scratches from other pieces. Soft fabric-lined jewelry cases or individual pouches are ideal.
- Avoiding Damage: Remove your diamond jewelry during harsh activities or when using harsh chemicals. This helps prevent potential physical damage or exposure to substances that could dull its appearance.
By following these simple guidelines, you can help ensure that your lab-grown diamond remains as stunning as the day you bought it.
Where to Buy Lab-Grown Diamonds
We’ve written a dedicated article about the Best 8 Places to Buy Lab Created Diamonds, so feel free to check it for a detailed list about where to buy lab created diamonds.
But for our guide here, let’s go over the top 3 stores that we recommend:
1. James Allen
Known for its vast selection, James Allen offers over 200,000 diamonds, including a significant range of lab-grown options with more than 50000 diamonds as of writing this.
Their high-definition 360-degree imaging technology provides a detailed view of each stone, enhancing the online buying experience.
2. Blue Nile
As one of the pioneers in online diamond retail, Blue Nile has a reputation for quality and reliability. They provide a wide range of lab-grown diamonds with more than 15000 diamonds, catering to various preferences and budgets.
Brilliant Earth is celebrated for its commitment to ethical sourcing and sustainability.
Their collection includes a diverse array of lab-grown diamonds, each with detailed information about its origin and characteristics.
Tips Before Getting Lab-Grown Diamonds
When buying a lab-grown diamond, consider these expert tips:
- Budgeting: Set a clear budget before shopping. Consider total costs, including the setting and any additional features.
- Understand Warranties: Inquire about warranties or guarantees. Understand what is covered, for how long, and what the warranty process involves.
- Explore Setting Styles: The setting can dramatically affect the diamond’s appearance. Research different styles to find one that complements both the stone and the wearer’s taste.
These tips can greatly enhance your diamond buying experience, ensuring you make a well-informed and satisfying purchase.
In conclusion, selecting a lab-grown diamond is an adventure that combines personal taste with informed decision-making.
From understanding the 4Cs and ensuring authenticity, to choosing the right retailer and caring for your diamond, each step is crucial in finding your perfect gem.
Remember, lab-grown diamonds offer a blend of beauty, value, and ethical sourcing, making them an excellent choice for modern consumers.
As you embark on this journey, keep these tips and insights in mind to ensure a purchase that brings lasting joy and satisfaction.
Still not sure where to buy your diamond?
We always recommend shopping diamonds online and created a Full guide to shop diamonds like a Pro.
Among online retailers, here are our favorite stores
click their logo to visit store
Our favorite online store, best diamond imaging technology available today, comes with the largest collection with more than half a million loose diamonds.
Widest collection of loose diamonds of all sizes, great imaging technology for most of their inventory (hundreds of thousands of diamonds), great customer support.
Home Of A CUT ABOVE® Super Ideal Diamonds, they stand out from the crowd by offering premium diamonds cuts, tailored to those who love the details, at great prices too.